December 20, 2016
2 pounds skirt steak, or flap steak if you can’t find skirt
½ cup unsweetened greek yogurt
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup plus one tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup diced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
¼ cup diced fresh cilantro (or double the parsley)
1 tablespoon diced fresh mint
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pinch sea salt
1 tablespoon crushed pink peppercorns
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Combine the yogurt, mustard, sea salt, and vinegar in a large zip-top bag. Add steak and let marinate for at least 20 minutes at room temperature, or as long as overnight refrigerated.
2. While steak marinates, make the herb sauce. Parsley, rosemary, cilantro, mint, crushed garlic, sea salt, peppercorns and lemon juice in a bowl. Add ¼ cup of olive oil, whisk to combine and set aside.
3. Cook the steak: Heat a large skillet over high heat. Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels, then set aside. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and sear the steak for 3-5 minutes per side if using skirt steak, turning once.*
4. Slice across the grain and drizzle with herb sauce.
5. Leave the empty-calorie sweets to Santa, and enjoy your healthy, protein-rich feast! 🙂
*I find 4 minutes per side is a perfect medium rare. If you like a more well-done steak, though… you may need to go as long as 8 minutes per side.
March 27, 2017