March 27, 2017
At this point, telling you breakfast is the most important meal of the day is probably more than redundant. However, the reason I keep insisting on the importance of breakfast is because it’s true! Nourishing your body with proteins, good fats, fiber, and more is a great way to fuel your day after multiple hours spent sleeping. Those who skip breakfast are denying their bodies the ability to create the energy necessary to power through the day.
Now it makes more sense why the importance of breakfast is stressed so heavily, right?
So, why do we continue to skip this meal when we know we shouldn’t? Because, sometimes it seems easier to ditch the meal in exchange for that extra half hour of sleep. For the same reasons, we’re often tempted to grab a sugary pastry or a fat and calorie-laden breakfast sandwich from the drive-thru window on the way to work instead of making a healthy meal at home. I get it. Life’s hectic pace can make healthy choices more challenging.
But that’s exactly why I created this scrambled egg lettuce wrap recipe.
They only require about 5 minutes of cook time and deliver the nutrients your body needs! The protein from the eggs can help promote healthy hair, skin, and nails, as well as support lean muscle development. The mushrooms have vitamins B and D, and pack a ton of flavor without adding a ton of calories. Also, the good fats from the olive oil can help support a healthy heart. In addition to the health and time-saving benefits of these wraps, there is another benefit: taste!
The filling is a perfect combo of savory deliciousness, and the crunch from the lettuce leaves is what sets it over the top for me every time. They are so tasty and easy to cook that making the healthy choice for myself every morning has become a no-brainer. So check out my recipe below and make it part of your morning routine!
Scrumptious Scrambled Egg Lettuce Wrap Recipe
Ingredients (serves 1)
1. Heat bacon or olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until tender and beginning to brown, then add thyme leaves and cook until fragrant.
2. When bacon is cooked through and mushrooms are tender, reduce heat and add eggs, along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs begin to set, then add cheese.
4. When cheese is melted, remove from heat, and let cool a little. Scoop half the mixture into the center of each lettuce leaf and roll like a burrito.
5. Sink your teeth in, and start the day off feeling satisfied and ready! 🙂
Want more easy, healthy and delicious recipes? Head here:
February 20, 2017