You’ve probably heard it before: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’s also the most skipped meal of the day. It may seem like skipping breakfast is an easy way to eat fewer calories in a day. You’re eating one less meal, so it must help with weight loss, right?
Wrong. A study done by The Journal of the American Dietetic Association showed that people who ate a balanced, nutritious breakfast each day actually weighed less than those who skipped breakfast.
I hate to admit this, but one of my favorite breakfast foods is French toast. When I looked up the nutrition facts for the French Toast at a local popular breakfast restaurant, I was amazed.
Their French Toast has over 1000 calories, 39 grams of fat, and a whopping 74 grams of sugar per order. That’s more sugar than in a can of coke and more fat than a Big Mac.
Instead of giving up French toast, I created this recipe with health in mind. A generous serving (half the recipe) has around 400 calories, less than 7 grams of fat and 10 grams of sugar. It’s even a prebiotic recipe.
Prebiotics consist of soluble fiber which actually feeds the good bacteria in your gut. By eating prebiotics, you’ll strengthen the probiotic colonies in your digestive system, making them even more effective.
The prebiotic foods in this recipe are whole wheat flour, bananas, apples, almonds and wheat bran. This recipe has high-quality protein from eggs, almonds and skim milk. It is sweetened with honey, which has been shown to boost energy and even help regulate sleep.
Ingredients (Makes 2 Servings)
- 4 1-oz slices of whole wheat bread, left out overnight to stale or toasted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk (you’re welcome to use almond milk if you’d prefer.)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey plus extra for presentation
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon sliced, toasted almonds
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon wheat bran.
- Spray oil or vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine your egg, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sea salt. Warm your honey a tiny bit (10 seconds in the microwave is fine) and add it to the milk mixture. Warming the honey makes it easier to mix in.
- Slice your apple and banana into bite sized pieces. Toss with the lemon juice to keep from browning. Set aside.
- Dunk your bread in the milk mixture until it’s soft all the way through, but not falling apart.
- While your bread is in the milk mixture, heat a nonstick pan with a little oil. Put the toast in the pan, and cook it on one side until golden brown. Flip, and cook the other side until golden brown and delicious.
- Put two slices on each plate. Top with the fruit mixture, a sprinkle of wheat bran, the almonds and a little extra drizzle of the honey. Enjoy!
Remember, adding a healthy, balanced breakfast to your day is worth it. You’ll notice changes in your focus and energy right away. Plus, you may see increases in the benefits from your BIO-X4.