Look, I know trying to completely avoid sweet things during the holidays is NOT realistic. So, let me show you a recipe I use to get my sweet fix… without scarfing down a pile of gingerbread cookies! It’s a chocolate fondue recipe that works so well as a fruit dip.
More precisely, it’s bittersweet chocolate fondue mixed with a little coconut and a hint of sea salt. It creates the PERFECT salty-meets-sweet festive dip for fruit. Try it with strawberries, bananas, pineapple, oranges, apples, or pears.
It feels indulgent but since it’s heavy on the fruit, light on the chocolate, it’s not half bad for you. Plus, it’s NOT loaded with sugar like most holiday desserts.
Crucial health tip: make sure to use chocolate with at LEAST 72% cacao, if not 80 or 90%.
It’s will be more expensive than say, Hershey’s baking chocolate, but well WORTH it. Why?
The more cacao content in the chocolate bar, the more nutrients, such as antioxidants and theobromine (an amino acid that makes you feel happy), your fondue will have.
Here’s to sweet dipping to your happiness and health!
Quick and Easy Chocolate Fondue
- 2 cups (1 can) light coconut milk
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped (at least 72% cacao)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Your favorite sliced fruit (pears and oranges are great this time of year, but strawberries and pineapple are always a crowd pleaser)
1. First thing, heat coconut milk and chocolate over low heat, whisking it until the chocolate is melted. This will take about 5 minutes.
2. Next, remove from the heat and stir in the sea salt and vanilla. Then, pour the whole mixture into a fondue dish if you want to serve it warm… or a pretty bowl if you’re serving it at room temperature.
3. Enjoy with fruit! I personally like strawberries, but don’t be afraid to switch it up!
About the Author