Can a healthier lifestyle really lead to higher levels of happiness? Well, research points to a resounding “yes.” This article offers some simple tips on how you can become healthy and happy in your everyday life.
Let’s get started…
A Healthy And Happy You: How Your Overall Health Can Affect Your Mood
What do you think of when you imagine being healthy? Absence of disease? Getting to the gym four or five times a week? Eating more vegetables? Feeling energized?
Optimal health and wellness relies on all these things. Because anything that ensures that your body is in good physical health has a profound impact on your emotional health and happiness.
Diet, sleep, physical activity… they all affect your mind and your body.
Good nutrition is absolutely essential for your health. You see, your body needs plenty of protein, fats, vitamins, minerals, and complex carbohydrates to thrive. And studies have shown that healthy foods can play a big part in helping to prevent certain serious health problems and issues with mood.1
You may already know that you feel happier and more able to tackle your day after some exercise. Study after study has shown that exercise influences a boost in alertness, energy, and mood.2
A lack of sleep can set you up for negative thinking and emotional vulnerability. Anyone who’s ever had a bad night’s sleep can no doubt easily relate to this.3
And if you get a great night’s sleep, maybe you’ve noticed — it’s easier to wake up on the right side of the bed.
Furthermore, this mind-body connection works both ways. Your emotional health also affects your physical health – your ability to sleep, your drive to exercise, and your appetite.
Healthy Lifestyle Checklist: Healthier Habits Of Happier People
Everyone is unique, and you’ll quickly find what healthy habits make you feel the very best in your life.
Here are some ideas to set you out on the right track:
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and protein.
- Exercise on a regular basis.
- Don’t smoke.
- Stay within a healthy weight range.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
- If you choose to drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Don’t skip breakfast.
- Reduce stress in your daily life.
- Take regular breaks at work. Get up and walk around, even for just a few minutes.
- Get a healthy amount of vitamin D each day by getting outdoors and eating foods fortified with vitamin D.4
- Sustain good balance and flexibility into old age to prevent the risk of injuries – try activities like Tai Chi or yoga.
Healthy Lifestyle Checklist: Healthier Habits For Emotional Health
Emotional health is equally as important as physical health. And following a healthy lifestyle using the tips above can help.
However, there are many more ways to further boost your mood and happiness. Why not try out some of these?
- Put the focus on gratitude – Start a daily gratitude journal.
- Practise mindfulness or meditation – Start small with just 5 minutes a day, increasing the time as you get better at it.
- Surround yourself with supportive, positive relationships – Some say that we are the average of the five people we spend the most time with.
- Set goals – Having short and long-term goals helps to keep you motivated and excited about the future.
- Minimize screen exposure – Too much screen time may increase the risk of greater loneliness, insecurity, and disconnection.5
- Learn something new – Learning a new skill or hobby is like food for your brain.
- Develop a morning routine – Develop a morning routine that makes you feel positive about the day ahead. Perhaps it’s as simple as taking your coffee with a good book before you begin your work day.
- Start volunteering – Volunteers are always needed as care providers, in food pantries, in libraries, working with animal rescue shelters, or as mentors to disadvantaged young children. The list is endless, and research suggests that volunteering your time to help others can boost happiness.6
- Take care of yourself first – Self-care is not selfish. It’s absolutely essential, and it may help to reduce stress and anxiety in your life.7
- Don’t forget to really live – Yes, work is important, but it’s not everything. Don’t forget to get out there and live your life outside of work. Nurture and value family, friendships, hobbies, nature, and time off.
Live Your Best Life For A Healthy And Happy You
Hopefully, this article has given you some food for thought – why risk your physical or emotional health by living anything less than your best life? Make it your priority today to eat well, get fit, combat stress, share yourself with others, and do the things you most enjoy.
How To Start A Healthy Lifestyle With Easy Habit Changes
What are the Benefits of Celery Juice?
Quit Your Desk Job for Better Mobility
Check out our Nucific BBB Reviews