Brownies, pralines, cookies, candy…
Holiday snacks really are a minefield for your waistline! There’s just sugar and starch coming at you from every angle!
So, since we’re going into the last week before Christmas… I decided to put together a tasty little recipe for you to replace all those tempting snacks.
This spiced nuts recipe has it all: wintery spices, wonderful flavor, good fats, plenty of protein… and it will leave you satisfied!
NOTE: I recommend drinking a glass of lemon water or some hot tea to make you fill up even faster when you’re enjoying this snack!
Dr. Amy’s Spiced Nuts
Ingredients (serves 12):
1 cup raw almonds
½ cup raw walnuts
½ cup raw pecans
½ cup raw cashews
½ cup raw macadamia nuts
¼ cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
1 teaspoon thyme, minced
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the nuts, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic and herbs. Saute until fragrant, and add to nuts along with spices. Toss until completely cool, then add egg and toss until nuts, egg, spices, and garlic are well-combined.
- Spread onto a parchment-lined sheet tray and bake 15-20 minutes, until nuts are dry – it may take longer in some ovens.
- Let cool and break any large chunks into small pieces before serving.
- Enjoy your lean treat while others are fattening up on pralines! 🙂
I hope you love this recipe as much as my Nucific team and I do. We keep a bowl of these spiced nuts in our company kitchen for a quick pick-me-up whenever we need it!
To your present and future health,
Amy Lee, MD
Head of Nutrition
About the Author